My Guide Website?
Skopje: Matka Canyon Sightseeing Tour44 Reviews
Explore the stunning Matka Canyon in Macedonia on a full-day sightseeing tour from Skopje and cruise by small boat between the vertical rocks. Pass ancient houses, temples, and medieval monasteries. Hike to the Monastery of St. Nikola.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Macedonia:If youʻre booking your trip to Macedonia last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Explore the magnificent scenery of the Matka Canyon, the most breathtaking landscape in Macedonia
- Hike through forests filled with the scent of flowers and the sounds of birds
- Cruise by small boat past the vertical rocks
- Look out for hidden medieval monasteries
- Climb to the Monastery of St. Nikola for a peek inside courtesy of the church keeper
- Walk along the banks of the River Treska
DescriptionDiscover the most beautiful landscape in the Skopje region on this scenic sightseeing hike and cruise of the Matka Canyon. Sail between vertical rocks, see ancient temples, medieval churches, and hilltop monasteries. Start at the 14th-century Monastery of Matka, dedicated to the Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God, a religious festival celebrated on August 28 every year. Walk along the banks of the River Treska, famous for its kayak competitions, following the path past the Dam and manmade Lake Matka. Next, climb aboard a small boat to cruise along the 5-mile (8-kilometer) canyon, soaking up the surroundings and scent of flowers. Listen and look out for abundant birdlife, and keep your eyes open for wild boar and hare. On your return, stop opposite the Monastery of St. Andrew and climb up forested hills to the Monastery of St. Nikola. From the plateau, your efforts will be rewarded with breathtaking views. A hospitable church-keeper, who built the surrounding mountain huts, will welcome you inside the monastery for yet another perspective of this magical and mysterious land.
IncludesHotel transfers Introducion of Skopje Licensed tour guide Boat trip
- Please note that you must feel comfortable traveling in a small boat for this tour