My Guide Website?
Thessaloniki: Meteora Day Tour by Train with Optional Lunch33 Reviews
Discover one of the most spectacular Unesco sites on a day trip to Meteora from Thessaloniki. Explore ancient monasteries, enjoy panoramic views and learn about the history and myths of the area.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Macedonia:If youʻre booking your trip to Macedonia last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Discover the beauty of the countryside on a scenic train ride to Meteora
- Skip the line with pre-arranged round-trip train e-tickets
- See all six monasteries and admire the interior of three of them
- Learn the history and legends of the area directly from a local
- Experience panoramic views and capture memorable photos
DescriptionDiscover the wonders of Meteora on a guided day trip from Thessaloniki. Enjoy a scenic train ride to Kalabaka with included round-trip tickets and taste local flavors during an optional lunch at a restaurant. Redeem your train e-ticket for the morning train departure from Thessaloniki’s railway station to Kalabaka on your own. Embark on a train ride through the Greek countryside and admire the beautiful landscapes. Arrive at Kalabaka’s train station, where a tour guide will be waiting for you holding a signboard with your name on it. Board a minibus and officially begin your unforgettable journey to this true wonder called Meteora. During the guided tour, see all six of Meteora's monasteries and admire the interior of three of them. View some of Meteora’s most spectacular hidden gems like the ancient Chapel of Doupiani and the magnificent St. George Madilas cave. Discover the “other side” of Meteora as you explore. Learn the truth about why the hermits settled in these imposing caves a thousand years ago and how the monks achieved the impossible. As the trip comes to a close, enjoy the breathtaking panoramic views and capture some amazing photos that you will cherish forever. Enjoy a transfer back to Kalabaka’s train station or a nearby local restaurant if the optional lunch is selected. Enjoy approximately an hour of free time to explore Kalabaka on foot before taking the evening train back to Thessaloniki.
IncludesRoundtrip train tickets from Thessaloniki to Kalabaka Meteora minibus sightseeing tour Visits to all 6 of the monasteries (with enough time to see the interior of 3) Pickup and drop-off at Kalabaka’s train station Local guide Bottle of water Free time in the town of Kalabaka
- It is highly recommended to have some light snacks with you so you can enjoy them during the train ride or/and your Meteora tour Lunchtime will be after the Meteora tour because it requires some physical effort to visit the monasteries and it is not recommended to do it after eating The monasteries of Meteora impose a dress code to enter. Men must wear long trousers, and women must wear long skirts and cover their shoulders. (Skirts are also available for purchase in the entrance of the monasteries. A long scarf wrapped around the waist is also sufficient to enter the monasteries) The monasteries of Meteora only accept cash for the entrance fees