My Guide Website?
Thessaloniki: Day Trip to Ouranoupoli with Mt. Athos Cruise152 Reviews
Embark on a cruise to Mount Athos on this day trip from Thessaloniki. Marvel at 8 Holy Monasteries, visit the stunning Ammouliani Island and enjoy time to swim in crystal-clear blue waters.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Macedonia:If youʻre booking your trip to Macedonia last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Feel soft sand under your feet as you walk along the beach on Ammouliani Island
- Embark on an unforgettable cruise to Mt. Athos and discover its rich history
- Discover the beauty of Ammouliani Island with its blue waters and scenic port
- Explore Chalkidiki peninsula and see the magical monasteries built on the rocks
- Stroll through Ouranoupoli town and choose to have lunch at a Greek tavern
DescriptionJoin a day cruise and discover the beauty of the Athos peninsula and the enchanting island of Ammouliani. See over 20 monasteries and take in the picturesque coastline on an unforgettable journey. Depart to Ouranoupoli with the bus Ammon Express along with our friendly trip attendant-archaeologist, at 07:30 from Aristotelous Square and Egnatia Street (at the statue of Venizelos). The route is 140 km and takes about 2 ½ hours. Begin your journey as you arrive in Ouranoupoli at approximately 10:30 AM. Be greeted by the Byzantine Tower of Prosforion, a trademark of the city. Then, embark on an enchanting cruise around the awe-inspiring Mount Athos, an independent monastic state with a history spanning over 1,100 years. Discover Mount Athos, comprising 20 monasteries, including Russian, Serbian, and Bulgarian monasteries. Experience the unparalleled beauty of the area as you sail along its stunning coastline. Take in incredible views and learn about its fascinating history. Continue, to the enchanting island of Ammouliani on Tuesday, Thursday or Sunday, where you will enjoy free time to immerse yourself in the emerald waters and relax on the sandy beaches. This verdant island boasts a picturesque port and traditional alleys, showcasing the typical architecture of Mt. Athos dispersed throughout the island. Take a stroll through the charming village and explore its local shops and tavernas. On Saturday experience a breathtaking cruise around the majestic western region of the Holy Mountain of Athos with the luxurious boat. Immerse yourself in the holy monasteries and be captivated by the stunning natural beauty of the sea. Experience the island’s serene waters, which never fail to amaze every traveler. Take advantage of the opportunity to taste traditional Greek cuisine at one of the island’s many tavernas, and indulge in the flavors of the region. Depart for Thessaloniki at around 17:00 and arrive back after 2 ½ hours, making the same stops where you started from.
IncludesRound-trip transportation English-speaking trip attendant
- Please note that there is a cruise ticket fee of 25 euros, which is payable at the time of boarding the boat
- Cruise ticket fee for ages 6-17 is 15 euros and for children 0-5 years old is free
- During the cruise, coffees, sandwiches, beers, and refreshments are available for you to purchase
- An audio guide is available in various languages
- Due to Greek law, boats are not allowed to moor on the Athos peninsula so you will see the monasteries from the boat
- Ammouliani Island is visited on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday
- On Saturday there is a cruise around the western part of the Holy Mountain of Athos