My Guide Website?
Thessaloniki: 3-Day Rail Trip to Meteora with Hotel & Museum
While in Thessaloniki, don’t miss the opportunity to visit Meteora. Join this 3-day adventure and find out why 2+ million visitors every year look forward to seeing the rocks that “suspend in the air”
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Macedonia:If youʻre booking your trip to Macedonia last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- From Skopje: Vodno Mountain and Matka Canyon Tour
- Chalkidiki: Blue Lagoon & Ammouliani Island Cruise & Lunch
- From Athens: Mt. Olympus National Park Guided Day Tour
- From Sofia: Kosovo and North Macedonia 2-Day Tour
- From Skopje: Pristina and Prizren Private Sightseeing Tour
- See the beautiful Greek countryside while on your train journey
- Explore one of the most popular UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Visit all six monasteries and learn about their history through the eyes of a local
- Discover the city of Kalambaka and the nearby village of Kastraki
- Visit the Natural History and Mushrooms Museum of Meteora
DescriptionOn day one you will redeem your e-ticket for the 8:56 AM departure from Thessaloniki railway station to Kalambaka. Embark on a scenic train ride through the Greek countryside and admire the beautiful landscapes. At around 12:03 PM you will arrive at Kalambaka Train Station, where your guide will be waiting for you holding a signboard with your name. You will then be transferred to your hotel. In the afternoon you will be picked up from your hotel for the sunset Meteora tour. During this tour you will have the opportunity to enjoy the panoramic views, admire the remarkable architecture and natural beauty of this unique landscape and witness one of the most breathtaking sunsets you will ever see. Then you will have free time to explore the city of Kalambaka. The following morning at 9:00 AM, you will be picked up from your hotel and taken to your morning Meteora tour. During this tour, you can admire how simply the hermits settled in the caves of the rocks a thousand years earlier, whilst you learn about the history, myths and the secrets of Meteora that only your local guides knows. At around 1:00 PM the minibus will drop you back to your hotel, and in the afternoon you will have free time to explore the area on your own. On the third day, visit on your own (following our directions) the nearby Natural History Museum of Meteora & Mushrooms Museum and redeem your entry ticket (we will deliver it to you upon your arrival). Explore a rich collection of birds and mammals as well as an integrated Mushroom museum, which is one of its kind in Europe. Afterwards, visit on your own (following our directions) the nearby Digital Projection Centre of Meteora’s History and Culture and redeem your entry ticket (we will deliver it to you upon your arrival). Enjoy a sensational 3D show-tour and travel millions of years ago. Learn about the unique phenomenon of Meteora and wander through the monasteries and the surrounding area. At 6:00 PM you will be transferred back to Kalambaka Train Station for your trip back to Thessaloniki. The train departs at 6:22 PM and will arrive in Thessaloniki later on that evening.
IncludesEnglish-speaking local tour guide Meteora Sunset Tour (1st day) One morning tour or activity of your choice (2nd day) Transfer service from/to Kalabaka’s Train Station Accommodation (two nights) at a three or four star hotel (depending upon availability) Two delightful breakfasts at the hotel Natural History and Mushrooms Museum of Meteora Entry Tickets Digital Projection Centre of Meteora’s History and Culture Entry Tickets Transfer with a luxury minibus Small group
- Important - Effective until August 31: The train operator has temporarily modified the Thessaloniki to Meteora train route's schedule due to infrastructure maintenance. As a result, the total travel and waiting time have significantly increased. For this reason, during that period bus transportation will be provided instead. The bus departs from Thessaloniki at 09:30 arriving at Meteora at 13:27. The return trip departs at 14:00 arriving at Thessaloniki at 17:45. Rest assured that all tours and activities will proceed as scheduled, as this revised itinerary enables us to maintain the full program.