My Guide Website?
Meteora 2-Day Tour by Train from Thessaloniki3 Reviews
Explore the astonishing area of Meteora during a 2-day tour. Experience the diverse landscapes of the Greek countryside including breathtaking geological formations and ancient monasteries. Explore the town of Kalambaka and see its Byzantine church.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Macedonia:If youʻre booking your trip to Macedonia last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Discover the breathtaking Meteora geological formations
- See ancient monasteries and the Kalambaka byzantine church
- Explore the beautiful and biodiverse Greek countryside
- Enjoy a scenic train journey from Thessaloniki
- Stay overnight in Kalambaka and explore the town
DescriptionStart the tour at Central Railway station of Thessaloniki where the train departs at 8.00 AM. Pass by the foothills of the mythical Mt Olympus, which was the residence of 12 Olympian Gods. End at the Paleofarsalo train station where you will have to change train and wait 1 hour, until you board the train that leads to Kalampaka. Palaiofarsalos is near where the ancient Mirmidones tribe originated from, the legendary ancient warriors lead by Achileus who played an important role in the Trojan War. Hop on another train to Kalambaka No 882 where you will be met by a guide to welcome you. Begin your breathtaking tour of Meteora rocks and marvel at the breathtaking geological formations at sunset. After this, you will be driven back to your hotel in Kalambaka for free time to explore the city and your overnight stay. On the second day, choose between a midday tour or a hiking tour. After the tour, you will be driven back to Kalambaka where you will have free time to spend under the shadow of the giant rocks.
IncludesPickup and drop-off to Kalambaka's train station Round trip transportation from your accommodation either in Kalambaka or Kastraki Round trip train ticket from/to Thessaloniki in economy class, an upgrade is possible upon request 3-star hotel accommodation, with breakfast included, accommodation can be upgraded to 4-star upon request Local Engish-speaking tour leader Bottle of water on both days Free Wi-Fi on board All taxes and services
- Due to the monasteries' strict dress code, men must wear trousers and a t-shirt or shirt with sleeves and women must wear a long skirt
- The tour is offered in a small group with a maximum of 13 people
- Babies up to 3 years old are free to join if they can share the seat with their parent
- This tour is semi-independent, which means your tour guide will provide you with all necessary information about the monasteries on the bus, but will not escort you into them
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking on uneven surfaces. For some monasteries, walking up stairs is necessary.
- Due to local regulations, you have to pay a hotel tax (between €1.50 and €4.00) at the hotel
- Credit cards are not accepted for paying the monasteries' entrance fees
- Animals are not allowed to enter the monasteries.