My Guide Website?
From Thessaloniki: Train Trip to Meteora & Monastery Tour15 Reviews
Catch a morning train from Thessaloniki railway station and enjoy the ride which passes beneath mythical Mt Olympus, home to the 12 ancient olympian gods, through the homeland of legendary warrior Achileus and ending in lovely Meteora.
- See all six monasteries
- Head into 3 of the monasteries to explore them
- Admire the Greek countryside
- See the mythical Mount Olympus
DescriptionDeparting at 8:00AM, pass by the unique landscape as it alternates between mountains and sea. The route crosses by the foot of the mythical Mt Olympus, where in ancient times it was believed to be the residence of the 12 Gods. Next, it leads you to Palaeofarsalos train station. There you have to change trains and wait for 1 hour until you board the train that leads to Kalampaka. Here in the greater surrounding area, lies the home of the ancient tribe of Mirmidones, a group of legendary ancient warriors who had the mythical Achilles as their leader, who played an important role in the outcome of the Trojan War. In Kalambaka, arrive at approximately 12:05 PM. A guide will be there holding a signboard to welcome you and start the tour. After which, you will on-board on a luxury mini-bus drive, sit, relax and enjoy the unique landscape. Begin your tour of the Meteora monasteries. Admire the amazing Christian architecture, and discover how monasteries have been influenced over time, having existed for over 700 years. Ask the specialized guide plenty of questions and take photos at fantastic viewpoints. After the tour ends you will be transferred to Kalabaka's city center where you will have over an hour to spend under the shadow of giant rocks either having lunch or a coffee. You will get all the necessary information on how to get to the train station, which is around 5 minutes walk from the city centre. You must be at the train station no later than 6:10 PM in order to catch the train back to Thessaloniki.
IncludesRoundtrip ticket Thessaloniki - Kalambaka Local English-speaking tour leader Wi-Fi on board Photo stop in Meteora Taxes and services Luxury mini-bus transportation Bottle of water ª Pickup and drop-off service from and to Kalambaka's train station
- You will travel by train on your own and will meet the group at Kalabaka train station
- Due to the monasteries' strict dress code, men must wear trousers and t-shirt or shirt with sleeves and women must wear a long skirt
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking on uneven surfaces; for some monasteries walking up stairs is needed
- Please bring cash for the entry fees for each monastery (3€ per person) and the Byzantine church (2€ per person)
- The tour is conducted in a small group of maximum 13 persons; babies up to 3 years old join for free if they can share the seat with their parent
- This tour is semi-independent, so your tour leader will provide you with all necessary information about monasteries during the drive, but will not accompany you into the sites
- As this tour lasts for 13 hours please be prepared and take some snacks with you
- Credit cards are not accepted for paying the monastery entrance fees