My Guide Website?
From Katerini or Platamonas: Meteora Day Trip by Train3 Reviews
Visit one of the most impressive monuments of Greece which also belongs to UNESCO's Heritage list, the amazing Meteora. Take the train from Katerini and enjoy a guided tour in a minibus at the Monasteries of Meteora. Return by train to Katerini.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Macedonia:If youʻre booking your trip to Macedonia last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Marvel at the 6 monasteries built on the edge of the Meteora rock formations
- Visit inside 3 monasteries (depending on which are open every day)
- Stop at viewpoint locations for breath-taking photos
- Learn about the Hollywood background of the area and see locations from James Bond and Game of Thrones
- Enjoy a 2.5-hour train ride through mainland Greece
DescriptionBoard a train in Katerini at 8.55 AM. Pass by the unique landscape as it alternates between mountains and sea. The route crosses by the foot of the mythical Mt Olympus, where in ancient times it was believed to be the residence of the 12 Gods. Next, it leads you to Palaeofarsalos train station. There you will have to change train and wait 1 hour till you board the train that leads to Kalampaka(#882). Here in the greater surrounding area, lies the home of the ancient tribe of Mirmidones, a group of legendary ancient warriors who had the mythical Achilles as their leader, who played an important role in the outcome of the Trojan War. Arrive by approximately 12:05 PM in Kalambaka where a guide will be holding a signboard to welcome you and start the tour. Climb aboard a luxury minibus then sit, relax and enjoy the unique landscape as you set off to explore the Meteora Monasteries. Admire the amazing Christian architecture, and discover how monasteries have been influenced over time, having existed for over 700 years. Grasp the opportunity and ask the specialized guide all the questions that you may have. Take photos at imposing places and capture sublime memories in this amazing experience. At the end of the tour, transfer to Kalambaka's city center where you will have over 1 hour to spend under the shadow of giant rocks. Either enjoy lunch or a coffee or explore at your own pace. Receive all the necessary information on how to get to the train station, which is around 5 minutes walk from the city center. You must be at the train station no later than 6.20 PM in order to catch the return train back to Katerini.
IncludesRoundtrip train ticket Katerini - Kalambaka Minibus road trip tour with an Local guide English-speaking Pickup and drop-off service from and to Kalabaka's train station Bottle of water and Wi-Fi on board Photo stop in Meteora Taxes and fuel cost
- Due to the monasteries' strict dress code, men must wear trousers and t-shirt or shirt with sleeves and women must wear a long skirt
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking on uneven surfaces; for some monasteries walking up stairs is needed
- Please bring cash for the entry fees for each monastery (€3 per person) and the Byzantine church (€2 per person)
- The tour is conducted in a small group of maximum of 13 persons; babies up to 3 years old join for free if they can share the seat with their parent
- This tour is semi-independent, so your tour leader will provide you with all necessary information about monasteries during the drive, but will not accompany you to the sites
- As this tour lasts for 13 hours please be prepared and take some snacks with you
- Credit cards are not accepted for paying the monastery entrance fees
- Animals are not allowed to enter the monasteries
- The tour does not cover travel insurance
- Gratuities are optional
- Wi-Fi is available on board